I’ve got updates I can share, and some I can’t. But the first draft is basically done. I have a couple of lines to fill in and one scene that’s not in the document because I’ve written it multiple ways but otherwise…it’s in the bag.
I will be doing a lot of editing, especially to formatting. Jamie, my partner in this script debate, told me about The Screenwriter’s Bible, by David Trottier. I resisted pulling it out until the draft was done so I wouldn’t mire myself in the technical, and I’m glad I stuck to that choice. It’s already a revelation that I wish I’d had in my hands back when I submitted my pilot competition script, but that can’t be helped. It will, however, greatly help me now.
Jamie did score us some science help, thankfully. A real bona fide professor and coroner who was willing to take some time to answer some wild questions for nothing but sincere and heartfelt thanks. And boy am I grateful. He didn’t answer every single question I posed (I did send at least 15 after all) but what he shared was invaluable and went a long way to rest my mind on the scary science. I’m still guessing on parts but he saved me from at least one big goof.
My script is over budget on length by at least 7-8 pages. Hopefully the bulk of that will be taken care of when I go back through the dialog in a couple of days and tighten it all up. My goal was 60 and I’m happier being slightly over than any bit under.
No matter what, I’ve really enjoyed writing this. I’ve written a rather long fanfiction story with the characters in their happily-ever-after glow but I have to admit…it’s a million times more fun to write them as they are now: bickering, teasing, and hopeful for their futures.
I just hope it’s a good story!